Pre-Moving Checklist to Reduce Moving Stress
Moving is known as one of the top 10 most stressful events for many people. But you don’t have to give into stress. At Rainbow Movers, we believe happy is good! We have created happy moving experiences for thousands of customers by helping them reduce moving stress.
When you’re getting ready to move, planning ahead helps create a happy, stress-free move. Not sure where to start? No worries – here is a pre-move check list for you:
6-8 Weeks Before Your Move
- Book a free, in-home estimate with your mover (earlier is better).
- Create a moving file to keep track of checklists, quotes, receipts, and other important information.
- Once you have your estimates, see if the movers you like will fit your budget. Consider the hourly costs, materials charges, and whether you feel the estimate (and estimator) has been thorough and realistic. Consider whether the charges have been explained so you understand them.
- Create a budget for your moving expenses.
- Gather copies of records you need to transfer – medical, dental, school, etc.
6 Weeks Before Your Move
- Create a change-of-address notification list for magazines, clubs, subscriptions, financial accounts, etc.
- Get change-of-address cards from your local post office.
- Clear out the clutter – purge your belongings of the things that you don’t love, want, or use.
- Plan to sell, give away, or donate your excess things.
4 Weeks Before Your Move
- Start researching your new neighborhood or ask for recommendations – where to run errands, which parks are nearby, closest dog runs, leisure options, etc.
- Buy packing boxes and supplies for your belongings.
- Schedule disconnect and connect dates for phone, cable, Internet, gas, electric, water, and trash
2 Weeks Before Your Move
- Organize your belongings in boxes by room. You can label the upper right hand corner on the sides of each box with just a few letters – BR1, BR2, K, LR, O, etc. It’s quick and will ensure things are placed where you want them to be.
- Create an “I Am HERE” box with all of the necessary items you’ll want to unpack first when you arrive. Some of these things include bed linens, bath towels, medicines, vitamins, important and pacifying toys for kids, starter items for the kitchen (i.e., coffee cup, wine glass), connecting wires for electronics, battery chargers, light bulbs, and toilet paper.
1 Week Before Your Move
- Your mover should check in with you to make sure you know what to expect on moving day. They will finalize any details with you and answer any questions that you have about timing, building schedule coordination, and payment.
It’s never too early to start discussing your upcoming move. If you’re planning one in the next couple of months, give us a call for a free estimate.